30 Reasons to Re-Purchase a Wine
I think it can be said with some assurance that they are all good reasons to re-purchase a bottle of wine and none can be discounted. It’s an indication of the idiosyncratic nature of our motivations, not to mention our uniqueness as individuals.
What’s true is that this list could easily grow to 100 reasons or 200 or 500 or more.
For wine marketers, or marketers of any sort, what we have here is an example of what might be called the Long Tail of Consumer Motivation. It carries a simple message. You don’t necessarily have to define down desire or motivation to recapture the sale. When re-messaging your customers, it might to you well to slide down the tail to find out what weird things might motivate another purchase.
1. You liked the taste2. You liked the smell
3. It got you drunk
4. It didn’t get you drunk
5. It kept well in the fridge
6. It made you the hit of the party
7. One friend liked it as a gift, maybe another will
8. It reminds you of a place you like
9. Allowed you to show off your wealth
10. It looked good on your counter
11. It got a date just drunk enough to tell you their strange middle name
12 It felt nice on your palate
13. It was cheap
14. It plugged a hole in a vertical collection
15. A wine critic said it was better than you thought
16. The winemaker promised to sign your next bottle bought
17. Your first mother in law liked it. Maybe your second will too.
18. The corner of the closet it fit in is now empty again.
19. It is organic and you like organic things
20. Your buddy the winemaker needs the money.
21. You found it at half price, making finally a value.
22. You don’t like any other wine
23. Every cork has a word puzzle on it. You like puzzles
24. It makes you feel like you are on vacation
25. You want to drink your favorite wine before stopping drinking
26. You can’t locate the first bottle you bought.
27. You know it will go perfectly with the liver and onions you’re cooking
28. It’s unique bottle is all your blindness will allow you to recognize
29. It once cured your melancholy
30. It was always easy to get out of a white carpet