The Secret Recipe For Making Cult Wine Revealed
I can’t believe someone published this. It was suppose to be a big secret! But the LA Times let the cat out of the bag: They published the recipe for making a cult wine.
They got it right, too. I could add a few items but this recipe, along with a few million dollar will in fact get you your very own California Cult Cabernet:
• Build your own high-tech winery, using no pumps, only gravity.
• Burrow into the side of a hillside to create caves.
• Hire Heidi Peterson Barrett or Phillip Melka as winemaker.
• Claim extraordinary characteristics for your soils.
• Plant vines so close together that they "struggle."
• Harvest only perfect grapes and sort twice to make sure
• Harvest as late as your nerves will allow.
• Ferment your wine in micro lots.
• Sell less than 1,000 cases of wine per vintage.
• Charge more than $100 a bottle for the first vintage.
• Offer the wines for sale only through mailing lists and at ritzy restaurants.
• Pretend you’ve never marketed your wine.
They did forget one thing. You really do need to have a huge review from Robert Parker (94 or above) or from the Wine Spectator (96 or above) in order to have more than a Big CA Cab with a cave to store it in.