TEN THINGS: To Do To Get A High Caliber Wine Education
1. Get a job at a serious wine shop like K&L Wine Merchants or Zachys
2. Work in the Cellar at Robert Mondavi or Simi in the 1970s or 1980s
3. Agree to be Kermit Lynch’s Valet
4. Read the ten fattest wine books by English writers written in the past 20 years
5. Sell wine for a distributor in San Francisco or New York for 10 years
6. Spend a few years inspecting wine consignments at a wine auction house
7. Take your inheritance and buy a well-run winery producing 20,000 cases of wine.
8. Set aside five years and work for six months each in a cellar in California, Oregon, Argentina, France, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
9. Plant, manage, care for and find buyers for the grapes from a 10 acre vineyard
10. Taste and take notes on ten wines per day for five years.