What You Must Know About the Bill To End Wine Shipping
H.R. 5034, a bill that will severely restrict your ability to access or ship fine wine, has been introduced into into the House of Representatives in Washington, DC. It must be opposed by those who enjoy fine wine, those who sell fine wine and those who support free and fair trade. It must be opposed by telling friends, family and colleagues what it will do if passed.
Here is what you need to know about H.R. 5034:
1. If passed, HR 5034 will end the direct shipment of wine in many states.
2. HR. 5034 is an alcohol wholesaler protection bill.
3. HR 5034 means state alcohol laws would no longer be subject to fundamental Constitutional principles.
4. Backers of HR 5034 claim alcohol deregulation is happening, yet they can't point to any deregulation that has occurred.
5.The purpose of HR 5034 is to assure that alcohol wholesalers (middlemen) get a cut of every bottle of wine sold in America, whether they deserve it or not.
6. Small artisan wineries across the country will lose millions of dollars in revenue if HR 5034 is passed.
7. Wine Consumers will lose access to 1000s of wines if HR 5034 is passed.
8. The market for fine wine will shrink considerably if HR 5034 is passed.
9. HR 5034 is based on the alcohol wholesaler-perpetuated lie that direct shipping of wine and winery to retailer sales leads to minors drinking wine and binge drinking. There is no evidence to support either
10. HR 5034 amounts to alcohol wholesalers declaring war on consumers, wineries, wine shops, the federal courts and free trade.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
-If you are a Wine Retailer, contact Specialty Wine Retailers Association and join their effort to open direct shipping for retailers
-Join the FACEBOOK PAGE "Stop HR5034"