Stupid Alcohol Law Number 284
I am committed to the notion that, beyond a point, government and the society it represents does more harm than good in trying to overcome the seeming innate stupidity that always infects a certain portion of the community.
It appears the United Kingdom is not with me on this one.
There is a move in the United kingdom to reduce the legal blood alcohol limit a driver may possess to .02 and many believe this is a precursor to making 0.00 the legal blood alcohol limit a driver may possess. What does that mean?
"This level is seen as effectively banning any drinking
before driving because it allows only for levels of alcohol
that occur from a dose of cough medicine, a mouthful of
Communion wine or a bowlful of sherry trifle."
Actually, it means more than that.
• It means that folks perfectly capable of driving a car with great skill and competence will be arrested and their lives hugely disrupted with no evidence at all that their driving is impaired.
• It means that restaurants will have to lay off workers because fewer people will eat out for fear of being pulled over and arrested for having eaten a sherry trifle or having a half glass of wine.
• It means the their will be many more Britons lining up to make a living as taxi drivers.
• It means fewer people will have the pleasure of enjoying a glass of wine with their meal when they eat out at restaurants or go to a friends home for a meal.
• It means nothing to that percentage of society that are innately stupid (they'll still drink too much and drive their car into people and things.
Thankfully, this initiative is underway in the UK and not in the United States. I'm not going argue that as goes the UK goes the U.S. where alcohol policy is concerned. That would mark me as a buffoon. So, let's just be content to note that it appears that among the innately stupid in British Society, one finds policy makers. And in that respect, the UK is not so different from the U.S.